Monday, August 13, 2018

Bottle shaking: Reset Mac's SMC and PRAM

I just requested help with symDaemon abusing my Mactop's CPU at random and fan noise embarrassing me at meetings. I was advised to reset my SMC and PRAM.

On the off chance it works, these are the dance steps.
  • SMCShut down.  Hold ctrl-option-power.  Watch for the power adapter to flash green.  (Obvs, it helps if the charge LED is orange when you start.  If it's green, I guess it still flashes.
    The machine remains powered down.
  • PRAM  While shut down, hold -option-p-r-power.   When it starts to come up, let go of the power button. 
    Continue holding the other buttons through three reset cycles, marked by the default startup sound. 
    After the third startup sound, let go of the buttons and allow the machine to start up as usual.
The SMC relates to hardware.  It probably won't do anything for my antivirus woes, but might help my dumb machine correctly recognize its lid position. (Apple: How to reset the SMC)

The PRAM is less clear.  It stores startup settings, so ... maybe?  But I haven't seen anything where Symantec admits to storing stuff there.  (Apple: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac)

No comments: